How to do Tadabbur-e-Quran?
الحمد لله رب العالمين والصلوة والسلام على نبينا محمد وعلى اله واصحابه اجمعين
The invitation to Ponder upon the verses of the Quran can be found in Chapter 4: Verse 82:(The meaning of which can be translated as):
Do they not then consider the Quran carefully? Had it been from other than Allah, they would surely have found therein much contradiction.
Meaning of the word Tadabbur: To ponder, reflect and think
Conditions for a person who wants to do Tadabbur of the Quran:
- Knowledge of the language of Quran (i.e. Arabic)
- Tadabbur should follow the understanding/interpretation of the As-Salaf-us-Saalih of the Ummah (Pious Predecessors from the first three generations of Islam)
- Duaa (Supplication) to Allah seeking Knowledge and Understanding of the Quran
Shaykhul Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah states that he used to refer 100 interpretations of certain verses to reach a conclusion. Thereafter he used to make dua to Allah in his Sajdah: “O Teacher of Ibraaheem! Teach me… And O Granter of Understanding to Sulaiman! Grant me understanding”
So in short the correct sequence of steps in performing Tadabbur is:
- Refer interpretation by the previous Mufassiroon (Scholars of Interpretation and Exegesis of Quran)
- Make Duaa to Allah to grant the correct understanding
- Ponder upon the verses in the light of the above two points
As for the one who neglects the above mentioned steps, the following words of caution from the Quran and Sunnah are enough to hold him back.
Interpreting a particular verse of the Quran in one’s own way is like saying “Allah intends such and such a thing from this statement”. Incorrect interpretation done in such a way is lying upon Allah without knowledge :
17:36(The meaning of which can be translated as):
And follow not (O man i.e., Say not, or do not or witness not, etc.) that of which You have no knowledge. Verily! The hearing, and the sight, and the heart, of each of those You will be questioned (by Allah).
What is the ruling on deriving scientific proofs from the Quran?
Indeed, there are many scientific facts mentioned in the Quran which was unknown to the world until very recently. So it is beyond doubt one of the miracles of the Quran. As Allah says in Surah Fussilat (41:53)(the meaning of which can be translated as):
We will show them Our signs In the universe, and In their ownselves, until it becomes manifest to them that This (the Quran) is the truth. is it not Sufficient In regard to Your Lord that He is a witness over All things?
But while trying to prove the scientific facts from the Quran the following things are to be kept in mind:
- The Quran is not a science text Book. It was revealed to teach human being the correct Deen, concept of Tawheed (Unique Oneness of Allah) and the correct way of worshiping Allah. So this should be our main purpose of reading the Quran. Nowadays, we see many among the youth who read the Quran only to extract such scientific facts. This is a big mistake, since it goes against the primary purpose for which the Quran was revealed. This is a clear violation of the sanctity of the Quran.
- Proving scientific facts from the Quran is not a duty that Allah has imposed on us. However, verses that clearly speak about the creation of human being and the embryonic development, the barrier between the seas and verses like these may be used for the purpose of doing Dawah. But what should be avoided is trying to challenge and claim that Quran has all the scientific facts and anything can be proved from the Quran, as some of the youth do today. They end up trying to give their own meanings and interpretations to the verses to keep their challenge.
- Science is not a stable field. Scientists have differed over and over on the same issue through the decades and centuries. So what Science states today may be possibly disproved tomorrow by the same science through new scientists and experiments. So it is not for us to exert ourselves too much into this to the level that we try to prove that something is matching with scientific facts today whereas, scientists go on and change their opinion in the near future. This might turn out to be a wasted effort and unnecessary claim, which Allah has not made us answerable for.
وصلى الله على نبينا محمد وعلى اله واصحابه اجمعينو الحمد لله رب العالمين